Monday, March 9, 2009

for those of you wondering...




I have suddenly been faced with the severity of the sheer fact that I am going to have a four year old in a month. 3 was okay...still felt very toddler-ish....4?? This is starting to feel like she's growing up just a little fast for me. And my Bubby? 2 1/2 already?? When did all of this happen? I still remember clearly what it was like to have an infant and a baby at the same time (hence...tube tying...) but truly, and I know this sounds sappy each day of their lives have been rich to me...and have been a part of this crazy thing we call life. Wanna know how I have the patience to deal with a 2 and 3 year old at their worst worst behavior? Just ask me what Carter was like as a baby :) (Don't worry...I still love you...but there were days I wanted to put you outside...)
Anyway, I'm getting off track. I have no idea who reads this blog, but I'm sure many of you have noticed pictures of my lovies with bottles...even my Katie, who is almost 4. Now, to set the record straight, I am not one of those moms that just lets whatever the child wants happen. If I had my way, Carter wouldn't have touched a bottle after he was 2. But....here is where my valid reason comes in....to any of you who wondered...
Katie and Carter were both born prematurely. Katie weighed 2 pounds, 3 ounces, Carter weighed 4 pounds, 10 ounces. Despite his higher weight at birth, Carter has been consistently smaller on the growth chart than my little peanut. Though I'm well aware of the risks posed by still having a bottle at this age, the pediatrician says that we have to put calories first....so, basically KJ and Carter drink a protein shake for kids with flax oil for extra fat (the good kind, not saturated fat) and rice milk, because they are both allergic to milk. The calories essentially work out to the equivalent of what Katie had in breastmilk and Carter had in formula (he couldn't nurse)....As they both continue to go through growth spurts...their weight is still a concern to their doctor (they are only in the 5th percentile, and at the last well child, KJ wasn't even on the chart...) so we continue bottles until told it's in their best interest to stop. I'm not all about completely trusting doctors, I have had a lot of really stupid doctor decisions in my life, but their pediatrician was also MY pediatrician, knows our entire family history, and even came to the NICU to see Katie and Carter when they were discharged. So, this time I guess I won't try to play supermom, and I'm doing what the doctor says...no matter how many weird glares I get :)

3 comments:

Brittany said...

anyone who judges you for letting your kids drink out of a bottle is a moron with too much time on their hands.
just saying.

love you. (and those babies)

The Brown Family Blog said...

Ditto to Brittany :-)Its hardly different than an older kid having a paci. Everyone kid has some kind of security item. I used to watch kids that sucked their thumbs and rubbed their belly buttons! One of them did this until they were like 9 or 10 At least you don't have Katie hiking up her shirt to rub her belly button! :-)
Hope the health fairy hits your house soon so we can hang out!
Love,
Me :-)

The Brown Family Blog said...

"everyone kid"? Hmmm....I surely didn't mean to say that. How about "every kid" :-)