Saturday, March 6, 2010

mommy got a new iphone!

....and Katie's excited about it!

Why you ask would I let my child play with an expensive piece of electronics...when not two hours earlier managed to be an accomplice in breaking her brother's brand new, freshly painted and designed (by ME) piggy bank (frowny face).....

Well, because when your child is so sick they can't even muster the energy to get off the couch to play, and they look at you with those pleading eyes as you are waiting at the doctor's office and ask in a quiet raspy voice..."mommy, I see your phone?"  heart melting complete, i was off searching for an app that might be interesting.  Having already bought an app that "locks" my phone and makes it toddler-proof but still light up with colorful buttons, that my kids quickly bored of, I wanted something harder that would take her longer to figure it out.  So I picked a kindergarten game with addition, subtraction, spelling and dolce sight words.  What?  I have never done a math problem with katie in her life.  We work on her sight words and letters/phonics, but that's it.

And lo and behold, what does my sweet, ever suprising four year old show me?  She can add!  I kid you not....as I'm listening to her playing the game on the way home from the doctor I hear it ask, what is 4+2...and I'm like, no way...there is no way she is even going to understand that.  And then I hear "correct, 4+2=6"....and I'm like wha??????  I'm still constantly amazed by her ability to just absorb information like a little sponge...even when she doesn't feel good. 

No comments: