Thursday, November 26, 2009

my little chefs

In preparation for Thanksgiving, I decided to make two different desserts to take to Aunt Carri's in South Bend.  I was really only assigned the 7-Layer Salad...but I was really trying my hand at baking.  I wish I was a better baker.  That sounds silly.  But baked stuff is yummy...like pumpkin bread and pumpkin cheesecake bars.  Yum.  So, this is what I set out to make.
After school, when the kids went down for a nap, I started right in on the Pumpkin bread (which has an extra special secret...which makes it the most moist and decadent bread you have ever tasted...with 1/2 the fat!  if you want...the recipie, let me know) with the only two bread pans that we had in the house.  Are people supposed to regularly have bread pans?  And what the heck is a jellyroll pan?  Clearly, Betty Crocker is not my nickname.  I adjusted the cooking time for the two different pans, and even rotated them several times during baking. 



my two loaves of pumpkin bread with toasted walnuts

this is why i don't have recipies. 
i am not a clean cooker. 
i wonder if ther is something wrong with that, too.  hmmm...

post-oven, knife came out clean put on cooling rack, as directed..

um...yeah, so the little one turned out great and was gobbled up, but the big one just didn't make it.
i actually cried i was so pissed mad.  eric told me to get over it, it was just bread.
i think he was right.

then...my little sous-chefs woke up from their naps a little grumpy, so some cheesy balls (as KJ likes to call them) were in order before we started in on the cheesecake bars.  I say this just so you know why it seems like they have orange crust all over their mouths.  I wouldn't want you to think I'm that mom..hehe

my super big boy

the two of them mixed all of the pumpkin into the cheescake batter!

carter was putting all of his effort into it.  seriously.  i had to tell him to take a break. 

time to put on walnuts (completely makes katie go into some OCD freak out where there has to be an even amount of walnuts on every square inch of that pan...oh dear.  what shall i do with her?)

carter preferred the "just sprinkle them on" method.  i'm with him.

just because she's beautiful. 

and just because he's adorable.  (what is that you say?  can openers aren't the coolest thing ever?  please do not tell carter!  he will be crushed!)

and...da da da dum....the finished product, once katie finally approved it.

final verdict: oven 1 me 2
cheesecake bars were a huge hit
pumpkin bread was delicious
maybe i'll give it another try ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I adore you. And I'm hoping that
1. brady and katie's OCD will be another bonding time for them. or
B. their OCD will cancel each other's out.

what are the chances??

(you are SUCH a good mom)

The Brown Family Blog said...

Super cuteness! And, don't give up on baking :-) I wasn't good at first either and a couple of crumbly loaves of bread are no big deal. Practice makes perfect! You are coming to my recipe thing on Monday, right? Can't wait to see you! :-)